Amateur Radio Discussion
April 20, 2024, 10:26:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

IC7000

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IC7000  (Read 304 times)
KE6SHJ
Global Moderator

13 WPM GENERAL

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2008, 03:07:50 pm »

I've been considering getting one of these rigs. Im wondering if anyone here has one and can give me any input as to the integrity of this rig. How well does it do on all bands, different modes and power settings? Any comments will be great.

Tnx and 73's Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

KB3LAZ
Certified Sociopath
Administrator

The rule of the fang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:42:03 pm »

Ya I have a 7000 and its a great radio. Iv had mine for over 2 years now and no problems.
I get lots of complements on my audio on ssb. It has a few small flaws such as the swr meter does not work on vhf and uhf. You are also limited as to what after market mics you can use. And also you have to use the acc port for use with an amp. However it has one of the best receivers Iv ever herd.
To tell you the truth it will never leave my desk as it is my favorite radio to run.
I would say go for it its a great radio especially for the price. If you plan on running it bare foot I would suggest getting the LDG  AT-7000.
Good luck and 73 OM
Report Spam   Logged

kb3laz.com
-----------------------------------------------

Life Is nothing more than the suppression of death!
KE6SHJ
Global Moderator

13 WPM GENERAL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »

Yeah I dont plan on running anything but the radio. My plan is to match it with an HS1800 Pro Platinum Package with an Ibox 7000. All band HF antenna. I have an SG 7900 for V/UHF but I kinda want a separate rig for that. Been looking for an IC 2800 but alas Icom no longer produces that rig Sad .  Kinda sad because Ive read alot of great reviews and articles on it and alot of folks love that rig. If I can not find one then Ill use the 7000 for that as well as HF. Tnx for the info and 73's.   Grin
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:21:48 pm by KE6SHJ » Report Spam   Logged

KB3LAZ
Certified Sociopath
Administrator

The rule of the fang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 08:30:58 pm »

SO when you plan on getting that 7000.
Report Spam   Logged

kb3laz.com

KE6SHJ
Global Moderator

13 WPM GENERAL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 10:04:48 pm »

Well, it probably wont be til the begining of next year. Was gonna get it this year but my bonus from work was nowhere near what I was expecting. My tax refund went to paying off bills and the kids so I pretty much gotta wait till next tax/bonus season. Perhaps this coming year my bonus will be more then 1200. For everything I want to get its gonna cost me about 2700. And it may even go up between now and then HIHI......
Report Spam   Logged

KB3LAZ
Certified Sociopath
Administrator

The rule of the fang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 01:46:55 am »

Well, it probably wont be til the begining of next year. Was gonna get it this year but my bonus from work was nowhere near what I was expecting. My tax refund went to paying off bills and the kids so I pretty much gotta wait till next tax/bonus season. Perhaps this coming year my bonus will be more then 1200. For everything I want to get its gonna cost me about 2700. And it may even go up between now and then HIHI......

Oh I totally understand, but that stinks. You had said something about getting out of your apartment then you could get back on the air. When you get around to that let me know an on air contact would be great. Maybe ill even be able to do it in mores code if I can just get more proficient.
Report Spam   Logged

kb3laz.com

KE6SHJ
Global Moderator

13 WPM GENERAL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 11:57:30 pm »

That would be great. Only sad thing is I have been w/o a rig for so long Ill have to relearn the code all over again. I know most of it but not listening or pounding the brass everyday like I used to, Ive kinda let it slip into the depths of my forgotten routine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

KE6SHJ
Global Moderator

13 WPM GENERAL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 09:20:28 pm »

Say, Travis, have you had any heat problems with your 7000? Ive read lots of stuff talking about how the rig gets hot during normal operations. And what about the so called mic mod. Whats that all about? Reason I ask is cause I want to be sure Im making the right chose   in this rig. Im sure that Iam but Im just courious to know from someone who actually has Xp with it that I know!!!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

KB3LAZ
Certified Sociopath
Administrator

The rule of the fang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 09:34:30 pm »

Well the rig gets a little hot but not enough to harm the printed circuit boards or anything like that.
I mean a computer mother board gets much hotter and does not melt down, same concept.
Oh and the heat meeter on the front never reads critical, and I can talk for hours at a time, lol.

As for the mic mod thats just for improving FM not SSB or AM, and of course not CW, lol.
I dont know why people get the mod because I get a lot of complements on my audio without the mod. 
And thats on ssb and fm. As for how it works on AM I couldnt tell you.
Now the receiver is excellent as is the tx audio or so I am told by all I talk to. 
Now it has great audio on cw as well at least on receive as I have never sent cw over the air. 
A really cool thing is that a key can be hooked up to the 7000 and you can use it as a practice oscillator.

If you have the capability to listen over the air on the radio or your computer I talk on 3950.50 at around 1am my local time.
If you do want to hear the tx audio just let me know and Ill make sure Im on the air that night.

Any other questions or concerns please feel free to ask, I will be more than willing to answer to the best of my knowledge.

73 de kb3laz
Report Spam   Logged

kb3laz.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum