Amateur Radio Discussion
March 28, 2024, 11:09:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Good Starter Base/Mobile Recommendations

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Starter Base/Mobile Recommendations  (Read 607 times)
KB3RCL
Philosopher of the Bloodshot Mind
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:05:52 pm »

I've been around amateur radio for a number of years now, but have just recently decided it was time to join the family hobby.  anyone have suggestions as to a good starter radio? within my family the general preference is either i-com or yeasu, but which model and such changes preference as often as the weather.  whats your recommendation for somebody just getting their feet wet?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:00:36 pm by FKeck3 » Report Spam   Logged

All things must come to and end.  Were it not so, all things would be meaningless.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

KE6SHJ
Global Moderator

13 WPM GENERAL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:45:29 am »

I remember when I got my ticket I was given an HTX 202 by an Elmer friend of mine. Very basic, but it got me on the air. A few months later, he gave me a DJ 580 dual band ht. Slowly I got upgraded until I did more air time and got my feet soaked, so to speak!!!!! I eventually upgraded to Tech+ and another good friend of mine gave one of his HR 2510s. A great 10 meter starter rig. From there I was able to purchase an RCI2950, another 10 meter rig. I used the 2510 in my work truck and the 2950 in the house. I also had an FT 690r a 6 meter all mode which I used mostly for cw practice with another friend of mine. We got efficient enough that we got our General upgrade. I then got an FT100D which IMHO was the biggest POS Yaesu ever produced. I had it for maybe 1 year and 8 months out of that year it was on Yaesus bench getting repaired. It always blew something internally and it never worked with the ATAS100 I bought with it. So I got rid of it and never bought another Yaesu  hf rig. I do, however have a VX7R which Ive gad for a few years now and the only problem with it now is the battery is kaput :p I need a new one. As far as HF goes, Ill be getting an IC7000 and for a new ht it will be an IC 91AD. 200 bucks cheaper then the 92AD. I cant see paying almost 600 bucks for an HT. For that much it better cover hf in all modes :p Anyhooooo thats my input. Hope it helps ya out!!!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

KB3RCL
Philosopher of the Bloodshot Mind
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 04:36:52 pm »

Well as for right now, being that i am broke and just starting out (amazing how quick a young fiancee and a newborn can kill your wallet!) i am on an HT and soon a base that were both given to me by family.  The base is an IC-730 and the HT is some cheap foreign import that nobody has ever heard of.  Amzingly however the HT is great audio to it and really isnt too bad for the price.  the only down-side being that it is only a single-band 2m.

sometime in the future, hopefully september at shelby, i am hoping to replace the HT with a VX6/7 and move up into more modern times with a new base...possible the ic-7000 (thanks to a bit of time watching kb3laz with his).  as far as a mobile goes, i have no idea as to what i am going to do with that yet.
Report Spam   Logged

All things must come to and end.  Were it not so, all things would be meaningless.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum