Amateur Radio Discussion
March 28, 2024, 01:27:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Is windows Vista the Death of windows as an os.

Poll
Question: Is windows Vista the Death of windows as an os.
Yes - 4 (57.1%)
No - 3 (42.9%)
possibly - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Is windows Vista the Death of windows as an os.  (Read 866 times)
KB3LAZ
Certified Sociopath
Administrator

The rule of the fang!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2008, 09:31:12 pm »

Well after using vista for five minute I said the heck with this.
Its built for morons.
I mean if you need something to be so user friendly thats it asks you for permission every time you preform an action, you might as well shut off the computer.
On another note why fix something that is not broken. What was wrong with XP.
Even clearing your prefetch files on vista is a pain.
well thats the way I feel, what do you think.
Report Spam   Logged

kb3laz.com
-----------------------------------------------

Life Is nothing more than the suppression of death!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

KB3RCL
Philosopher of the Bloodshot Mind
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 05:42:16 pm »

After having extended use of Vista, i continue to do so unwillingly.  The constant nag of permissoins is tiresome, though they can be shut off.  The amount of resource needed just to run the OS is amazingly sad.  Im not going to go into detail unless a less informed would like info, but a strong recommendation to all would be still stick with XP or a higher-end version of Vista.  Though for those using Vista now, just a heads-up, it is possible to downgrade from Vista to XP.  With some restrictions.  Only Vista Home Basic to XP Pro.  That is of course on a Factory installed system.  It can be done with other systems of course but from Vista HB to XP Pro is rather painless compared to the extent you need to go with other versions.
Report Spam   Logged

All things must come to and end.  Were it not so, all things would be meaningless.
KE6SHJ
Global Moderator

13 WPM GENERAL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:03:08 pm »

Ive been using Vista for a long time now and there is a way to deactivate the permission thing. Personally I dont mind it as its a security thing but there are ways around it. I only have it ask permission on certian items and works just fine. I have, however been contimplating trying Linux. I just dont want to lose Vista in case I dont like it that way I can go back to Vista!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

KB3RCL
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 04:15:56 pm »

To my understanding, one of the benefits to Vista is that it is relatively painless to set-up a system for dual-boot while running vista.  so actually you could more than likely run both vista and linux.  i know linspire is rather easily set-up for dual-boot along side windows.
Report Spam   Logged

All things must come to and end.  Were it not so, all things would be meaningless.
KE6SHJ
Global Moderator

13 WPM GENERAL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 10:43:40 am »

To my understanding, one of the benefits to Vista is that it is relatively painless to set-up a system for dual-boot while running vista.  so actually you could more than likely run both vista and linux.  i know linspire is rather easily set-up for dual-boot along side windows.

On my LT I can set up different accts. My XYL using this thing more then I do for her schooling. Heres a question, Is it possible to set up a separate acct that loads Linux? In other words, Ill log out of my XYL's side of the LT with her using Vista, and log into my acct loading into Linux? I think that is a possibility but I want some input first before I do such a drastic move!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

KB3LAZ
Certified Sociopath
Administrator

The rule of the fang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 10:45:48 pm »

On my LT I can set up different accts. My XYL using this thing more then I do for her schooling. Heres a question, Is it possible to set up a separate acct that loads Linux? In other words, Ill log out of my XYL's side of the LT with her using Vista, and log into my acct loading into Linux? I think that is a possibility but I want some input first before I do such a drastic move!!!!!

Yes thats possible, it can be set up so that when the pc is turned on it will ask you what os you wish to load.
However im not the person to ask how, lol. When I was running dual boot my friend set it up.
But it is rather simple to just boot linux from a cd, you could just do that if you wish.
Report Spam   Logged

kb3laz.com

KB3RCL
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:18:08 am »

just about any version of linux can be booted str8 from the cd, no install needed (good for if you are new to it and dont wanna run the chance of turning your pc into a paper-weight). 

however if you wish, dual boot is also quite easy and possible for just about any for of linux.  as to which version are better which way, im not sure.  i have limitted experience with linux and that which i have had was on a system setup for linux only.

Report Spam   Logged

KE6SHJ
Global Moderator

13 WPM GENERAL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 09:04:57 pm »

Ok that being said, what about Ubantu? Anyone have any Xp with that OS???
Report Spam   Logged

KB3LAZ
Certified Sociopath
Administrator

The rule of the fang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:20:17 pm »

Well I used Ubantu for a very short period of time, I plan on downloading a raw version of linux like Gentu.
That way I can start form scratch.
Report Spam   Logged

kb3laz.com

KC9JWA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 05:31:32 pm »

Vista number one killer, i only and like windows. Dells aint my thing to many misfunction.
Report Spam   Logged

Let god have the angels, I take the fallen angels, and put them in the flaming pit, and watch em sceam.
KB3RCL
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 01:36:16 pm »

bill gates needs to retire so i can have a field day.  i'll just leave it at that.  kb3laz, you know it's gonna be fun if it holds up!
Report Spam   Logged

KE6SHJ
Global Moderator

13 WPM GENERAL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 11:39:21 am »

Lets all go back to working with DOS and be done with it. Back in the day before windows and the internet I was working with DOS and writing programs.

If X = 4 then goto 10

That sort of thing.
Report Spam   Logged

KB3LAZ
Certified Sociopath
Administrator

The rule of the fang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 12:24:33 pm »

Free source windows would be a hackers dream.
Report Spam   Logged

kb3laz.com

KC9BWP

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 08:08:56 pm »

They have already decided to shutdown XP (service pack 3 is it supposedly) and are going to let Vista hold out until Windows 7 is finished.

From what I have read Windows 7 sounds as if it will be truly componentized! Meaning you can install what you deem necessary and toss what isn't.  If this is true and they do implement it well I think this could help Windows.  (Oh noes) Cry

Me though I still prefer Gentoo (Linux).....  My next upgrade will be solely ran with Gentoo

Ok that being said, what about Ubuntu? Anyone have any Xp with that OS???

Yes, I have all my laptops dual boot between M$ XP and Ubuntu.  Ubuntu, I recommend to anyone who doesn't want to fight an installation process its probably one of the most "user friendly" linux distros.

The only thing though is if you have an existing OS, like XP, and you want to keep it as is, you will have to re-size your XP partition on the hard drive or get another hard drive.  Resizing the drive *could* lead to corrupted data or corrupted file system.  If using your existing HDD I recommend to repartition the drive after removing important files and reinstall XP and then Ubuntu in that order (XP will run better after this too, but you may have to go on a driver hunt afterwards, fun, fun!)

Gentoo I am just now beginning to play with and its installation is quite the opposite in "user friendly"-ness....  I have a USB Drive that I can boot it from, though! Tongue
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 08:30:39 pm by KC9BWP » Report Spam   Logged

Nifty
KB3LAZ
Certified Sociopath
Administrator

The rule of the fang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 09:12:12 pm »

They have already decided to shutdown XP (service pack 3 is it supposedly) and are going to let Vista hold out until Windows 7 is finished.

From what I have read Windows 7 sounds as if it will be truly componentized! Meaning you can install what you deem necessary and toss what isn't.  If this is true and they do implement it well I think this could help Windows.  (Oh noes) Cry

Me though I still prefer Gentoo (Linux).....  My next upgrade will be solely ran with Gentoo

I tried, Im not as smart as I thought I was lol. Grin
Ill stick with xp because it works for what I need it for!
It doesnt need to be perfect to post on forums or do my homework.  Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged

kb3laz.com

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum