Amateur Radio Discussion
March 28, 2024, 09:14:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

VX-3R

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VX-3R  (Read 591 times)
KC9BWP

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2008, 06:35:30 pm »

I just bought one mainly because of its wide receive range.

I haven't received it yet and I'm anxious, this will be my first radio (I've borrowed some in the past)  I have read both good and bad reviews on it, with the bad mainly being dips in the receive sensitivity over its range and the fact that it doesn't have a DTMF pad......  I almost didn't buy it b/c of that.

Hopefully it isn't a lemon....
Report Spam   Logged

Nifty

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

KB3LAZ
Certified Sociopath
Administrator

The rule of the fang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:16:13 pm »

I just bought one mainly because of its wide receive range.

I haven't received it yet and I'm anxious, this will be my first radio (I've borrowed some in the past)  I have read both good and bad reviews on it, with the bad mainly being dips in the receive sensitivity over its range and the fact that it doesn't have a DTMF pad......  I almost didn't buy it b/c of that.

Hopefully it isn't a lemon....

I hope you enjoy it.
Report Spam   Logged

kb3laz.com
-----------------------------------------------

Life Is nothing more than the suppression of death!
KE6SHJ
Global Moderator

13 WPM GENERAL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:33:34 am »

An HT w/o a keypad?  Argh I HAVE to have a keypad. Ive never had an ht w/o a keypad so i dont know how it would even work. You gotta have a keypad to enter freqs directly. It will take too much time to dial through everything to get to your desired freq. IMHO the VX3 is really just a receiver and nothing more. ANyhow I hope you do enjoy it when it arrives!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

KC9BWP

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:27:42 pm »

Cheesy Its in WOOO!!!!!!

Once you get use to how to fumble through the bands and frequencies its not that bad.

It has DTMF auto dialer! makes up for no DTMF keypad but most radios have it ne way......
 Right now I'm letting it charge and I'm at work too....  learning time is laters..... Sad

Next thing I need for it is a better antenna. Any one recommend any SMA style HT antennas? Preferably one with a wide receive range like the Diamond SRH519?  I like it but something with more gain would be nice.

I could get into the local 70cm repeater here but on the 2m I can't..... I think it might have a PL that isn't 100 like it says it is online.....  or its down XD

Edit:
This radio is just slightly larger than my cell phone! This is a tiny little radio, I feel like I'm gonna break it. Tongue
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 04:25:03 pm by KC9BWP » Report Spam   Logged

Nifty
KB3LAZ
Certified Sociopath
Administrator

The rule of the fang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 05:03:11 pm »

Cheesy Its in WOOO!!!!!!

Once you get use to how to fumble through the bands and frequencies its not that bad.

It has DTMF auto dialer! makes up for no DTMF keypad but most radios have it ne way......
 Right now I'm letting it charge and I'm at work too....  learning time is laters..... Sad

Next thing I need for it is a better antenna. Any one recommend any SMA style HT antennas? Preferably one with a wide receive range like the Diamond SRH519?  I like it but something with more gain would be nice.

I could get into the local 70cm repeater here but on the 2m I can't..... I think it might have a PL that isn't 100 like it says it is online.....  or its down XD

Edit:
This radio is just slightly larger than my cell phone! This is a tiny little radio, I feel like I'm gonna break it. Tongue

Cool, enjoy!
Report Spam   Logged

kb3laz.com
-----------------------------------------------

Life Is nothing more than the suppression of death!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum